Blogs > Jack McCaffery's blog

Jack McCaffery is the lead sports columnist for the Daily Times and delcotimes.com. He has spent several decades covering everything from the Phillies, Eagles, Flyers and Sixers, to college hoops, to high school sports in Delco.

Thursday, May 26, 2011

RAUL'S REAL WORK ETHIC

Raul Ibanez, 39, delivered the winning run to end a 19-inning game Wednesday, slept four hours, then played all day Thursday for the Phillies, supplying a home run in a 10-4 victory over the Cincinnati Reds.


I've got a buddy of mine who is a Navy SEAL,” Ibanez said. “And I think about those guys at moments like this. They go without sleeping all the time. And it is just a mind-over-matter thing. Actually, when I was driving to the park today I said, 'I hope I'm playing.' When you first wake up, you are pretty tired. But when you start driving over here, your mindset is to play. You want to play all the time.”

He has struggled this season, but he's kept at it. Now, he is enjoying a 15-RBI May and helping the Phillies both offensively and defensively.

It's as much a reason as anything why the Phillies are still in command of the N.L. East.


Check out my column in the Daily Times Friday and on delcotimes.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home