Blogs > Jack McCaffery's blog

Jack McCaffery is the lead sports columnist for the Daily Times and delcotimes.com. He has spent several decades covering everything from the Phillies, Eagles, Flyers and Sixers, to college hoops, to high school sports in Delco.

Sunday, June 12, 2011

MADSON SHOOTING FOR THE STARS

The Phillies are baseball's only 40-win team. Ryan Madson is as much a reason as any.

After blowing his first save of the season Thursday, Madson was strong Sunday, preserving the Phils' 4-3 win over the Chicago Cubs.

It was his 15th save in 16 tries.

He should be an All-Star ... and it would make him happy. Very happy. Very, very happy. Oddly happy, maybe, in baseball terms.

“Ah, I would love it,”he said. “It would be a dream come true. It would probably beat going to a World Series, to be honest with you, just looking at the players. I have always watched the All-Star Game, just looking. And I would love to go. It would be awesome. I still have a little bit of work to do to get there, I think. There's a lot of guys that are still a lot better than I am right now.”

Beat the World Series?

It was a strange quote, but not one to be taken too literally. He was caught in the conversation about the All-Star Game and what it would mean to him. He has been to the World Series twice already and the All-Star Game would be a new experience.

I was there and had asked the question, so I understood the spirit of his reply.

He would like to be an All-Star. Very much. That's all. And he would deserve it, too.

Check out my column on delcotimes.com and in the Daily Times Monday about Madson and the excellence of the Phillies' bullpen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home