Blogs > Jack McCaffery's blog

Jack McCaffery is the lead sports columnist for the Daily Times and delcotimes.com. He has spent several decades covering everything from the Phillies, Eagles, Flyers and Sixers, to college hoops, to high school sports in Delco.

Monday, July 25, 2011

LEE NOT HAPPY

Cliff Lee was pulled from the Phillies' 5-4 loss to the San Diego Padres Monday for a pinch-hitter.

He did not put on a party hat in celebration.

  “It's his job to do everything he can to help the team win,” Lee said of Charlie Manuel. “And he felt like that was the best decision. I don't have to accept it or like it. He makes those calls, so I don't even have to understand. He's doing his job. I'm trying to do my job. And just the competitive nature of myself, I don't want to come out after four innings. I don't know any starting pitcher that does.”

That Ben Francisco hit into a rally-squshing double play couldn't have boosted Lee's morale. Lee, though, had allowed 10 hits in four innings, and his throw to first with Chris Denorfia on third allowed the Padres' outfielder to steal home.

 “He's human,” Manuel said of Lee. “He didn't want to come out of the game. He's competitive. And that's who he is. I don't want him to want to come out of the game. He didn't like that. But at the same time, I felt that at that time it was what we wanted to do.”


Check out the complete Phillies coverage in the Daily Times Tuesday and on delcotimes.com, including my column on what the Phillies really should do at the trade deadline if they are serious about winning a world championship.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home