Blogs > Jack McCaffery's blog

Jack McCaffery is the lead sports columnist for the Daily Times and delcotimes.com. He has spent several decades covering everything from the Phillies, Eagles, Flyers and Sixers, to college hoops, to high school sports in Delco.

Friday, July 5, 2013

Giroux reacts to new contract

Claude Giroux has signed an eight-year, $66 million contract extension with the Flyers.

This was his reaction, in a conference call with the press today:


Claude Giroux:

“They treat players unbelievable. The fans are always expecting great things. So just to be a part of that is is obviously a very good feeling.”



How important was it to get it out of the way before the season and not drag on?



“That's one thing me and Homer wanted to do, make sure we get this out of the way and from now on we can start focusing on the right thing. And it is a good thing that it is done with.”



How will it be to play with Vinny Lecavalier?



“I don't know him personally. But I hear a lot of good things about him. And growing up, I have been watching him play a lot and I think he is going to be a player that the Flyers' fans are going to enjoy watching, He's an intense guy and he goes into the corners and he can put the puck in the net. I have been talking to some of the guys and everybody is pumped to have him.”



Did you ever think you would be a career Flyers player, someone with essentially a lifetime contract?



“I never really thought about that stuff. I just go out and play hockey. I just go out and play my game. I just want to play my best to help the team win. You know what? Five years ago I was just trying to get a spot in the NHL and to make sure I could get as much ice time as I could to be able to show what I could do. A lot of that credit goes to the coaching staff and the management to have that trust in me.”





When was the deal actually done?



“Pretty much when it came out. We were looking at pretty much the same thing, just the little details. It is not my job to do that. My agent did a pretty good job with that. My main focus is to play hockey and that is pretty much my agent's job. It is not something I was worried about. Holmgren treats the players very good. I am just lucky to be a part of this organization right now.”



When did you get word that the deal was done?



“I think it was yesterday morning-ish, or around that time.”



Are you in Canada, doing offseason regimen, while your agent is working on the contract?



“Yeah that is basically it. Pat (Brisson) is a great agent. He knows what he is doing. That's why I chose him, so I could put all my trust in him and just worry about what I have to do. I have been training with Tony Greco for the last seven or eight years now, so I just keep doing the same training I do every summer and I always come to camp feeling good. So I can't be worried about that kind of stuff.”



What about the potential of adding Ray Emery, and that he and Mason will be the goalies next season?



“If those rumors are true, obviously, I had the chance to play with Emery before and he is an unreal guy and a good teammate and a great goalie. So it was too bad that when he came to Philly he got hurt, but if that is the case that he is coming to Philly, it would be fun.”



Was it tough to watch the postseason, not being in it?



“It is always tough to watch the games after you are done. You kind of want to be there, especially when you had a taste before of the NHL Finals. It is really something to watch. But it is something that motivates you.”



Did it sink in that the contract is the top one in franchise history?



“It is a great honor to be able to have that kind of contract, and it just shows the kind of trust they have in me. And I am going to do the best I can to not let them down. You know what? A little pressure like that never hurts. I have a lot of good teammates that are playing well. So I am just excited to just move along from this.”



Was it tough to see Richards, Carter, Jagr and other teammates going far in the playoffs?



“Thanks for reminding me of that by the way.”






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home